Friday, October 10, 2008

Kudos for Moby-Dick

The Massachusetts state legislature has passed a bill to make Moby-Dick the state's official "epic novel". Yay. I love it when great literature is recognized at an official level. It lends some justification to all the coffee I had to pass through my system in college to get through those tomes (including Moby-Dick!). But I wonder what literary work might become Vermont's official novel? I'm hard pressed to think of any book that relates to Vermont like Moby-Dick does to Massachusetts. Yes, we've had a few famous authors in residence (Rudyard Kipling, Sinclair Lewis, and Alexander Solzhenitsyn come to mind), but their great works were either written before they came to Vermont (like Lewis's Main Street and Elmer Gantry and Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich) or have nothing to with Vermont at all (like Kipling's The Jungle Books). I guess we just might have to wait for the "great Vermont novel" to be written.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: