Monday, July 07, 2008

Crunchy bread

I used to measure ingredients for my bread. Now I just pour them in (except the yeast!). I like to see what comes out in the end. This past weekend I needed a loaf or two for a bean soup I made. So here is what I poured into my Kitchen Aid bowl:

  • Some hot water
  • Some cold water
  • Two tablespoons of active yeast
  • Some light brown sugar
  • Somewhere around equal parts whole wheat flour and white flour
  • Wheat germ
  • Oatmeal
  • Flax seeds
  • Walnuts
  • Some olive oil
  • Salt
I put the switch on low and added flour until the dough held its shape but was still somewhat sticky. I put plastic wrap over the top of the bowl and the thing doubled in bulk in about a half hour! Maybe I didn't measure the yeast... So I dumped the dough out of the bowl, kneaded it, then cut it in half. I shaped two long loaves and sprinkled some flour and cornmeal on top. Then I let them sit and rise for another half hour on parchment paper while the stone in the 450F oven heated up. Finally, into the oven until I smelled something burning and they were done. It turned out to be a hearty and crunchy bread, very good for soup. I like it toasted as well with peanut butter. I probably can't duplicate it so that's why I took this picture (sorry, the other loaf disappeared quickly so there's just the one left).

Bookmark and Share

No comments: